Saturday, April 23, 2005

Slashdot | Paul Graham on PR

Slashdot had an interesting an interesting conversation on a recent Paul Graham essay on PR. I suppose this is why blogs are gaining in popularity - they are nothing if not honest. (What a way for me to pat myself on the back!)

Slashdot | Paul Graham on PR: "From the article:'Why do the media keep running stories saying suits are back? Because PR firms tell them to. One of the most surprising things I discovered during my brief business career was the existence of the PR industry, lurking like a huge, quiet submarine beneath the news. Of the stories you read in traditional media that aren't about politics, crimes, or disasters, more than half probably come from PR firms.' As always, it's an interesting, surprising and slightly provoking read.'"

It is interesting how much we are told to believe, and how much we do as they say. Of course, as he points out, they aren't strictly lying, it just isn't (even close to) the full truth-we have advertisments that disguise themselves as objective articles. It makes me a little sick. there has to be solution, but it is not obvious to me.

No comments: