Tuesday, May 17, 2005

warnings

Maybe this is just a strange idea. Well, it is a strange idea, but perhaps it is real. Has it ever occurred to you, that is some way, the movies we watch and books we read are warning us, and perhaps even preparing us for what lies ahead?

Yesterday I talked at length about the unusual applicability of Star Wars to our current political situation. I don't think that Lucas ( or anyother mortal) planned it that way.

Other movies might include, The Day After Tomarrow, with the sudden climate shift. Oddly, it was just recently reported that the Gulf Stream is a quarter of what it was just a few years ago.

Perhaps the messages in Harry Potter of more needed today than ever before. Things such as, Harry's choice between what is right and what is easy.

Or consider for a moment, the apex of English Literature this half century, the venerable JRR Tolkien. His books are applicable (not allegorical) on so many levels, there is no way I could list them all. Tolkien meant that on purpose. He was emphatic that he had no allegorical meaning in them. But we find meaning ( and there is a lot to find) because of the enormous amount of applicability in them. Perhaps I should suffice with the message of "Hope, without guarantees" as he would say.

I know there are others, but they are not coming to my mind at the moment. Please feel free to remind me of any. Or alternatively, tell me if I am just plain wrong.

But my guess is that God has a lot of ways to warn us.

No comments: